Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Did I ever tell you about the time...

that I almost burned the house down? Yeah, that would have happened TONIGHT! You know, maybe I should start blogging about some of the idiotic things that I have done in my past. Such as falling into a huge fountain in the middle of a packed mall during Xmas all because I was trying to play with the coins in the bottom. Or the time that I cussed out a local news anchor, Mr. Cartoon, who hosted a children's cartoon show. I could go on and on especially when you consider the fact that those to things occurred at age of 3 and 4. But we'll jump to age 29.

I come home from work and Sophie and I jump into cooking a baked chicken dinner. I turn on the oven and we start to work. We finish but it's still 30 minutes before Steven would get home and the chicken only takes 20 minutes to bake so we head downstairs and wait. The next thing I know, the dog is barking like crazy and the house is FILLED with this putrid, horrible smell and smoke is EVERYWHERE! The fire alarm is going crazy. I run upstairs and IMMEDIATELY know what's going on. I open the oven door and smoke comes rolling out, reminded me of a 1967 VW bus full of hippies! I throw open the back door and the dog looks at me and I swear if he could talk he would have said "save yourself fools, I'm out!"


The reason: my husband had placed a 9x13 cake with a P-L-A-S-T-I-C lid in the oven! And I cranked that baby up to 450 degrees!! We had to leave the house for dinner, open all of the windows, doors and garage door to try to get the horrible smell out. Someone could have walked in our house and completely robbed us blind, lucky for us we don't have anything worth stealing nor are we attached to anything.

The worse part: dear husband told me that the pan was in the oven this morning and to NOT preheat the oven without taking it out first. So I have no one to blame but myself. God I hate that.

13 comments:

Neurotic Att'y said...

I'm sorry, Kim, but I am laughing my butt off here! That is the greatest story I've read in a very long time! Seriously, I'm getting all crampy from laughing so hard!

Of course, I'm glad all ended well (if a little smoky) and that you are all safe.

Anonymous said...

As long as you guys are ok, all is well. Anyone that cooks has had horrible experiences. BTW, now that I think about it, you really do have some crazy and funny stories you could tell. Don't forget cussing about the chickens!!
G

Shana-Lynn said...

LOL!!! That is scary but funny. I am glad you guys are okay and thank GOD your dog warned you about what was happening. At least you got a meal out last night, right?

Maria said...

Dont feel bad I cooked a turkey breast without removing that lovely bag in the middle that contains the nasty parts!
Look at Oscar protecting the family.

Jami said...

LOL!! I would have forgot about the plastic lid too.

Twin Mommy Law Chick said...

Your dog is like Lassie- "woof woof- Timmy's in the old abandoned mine."

And you TOTALLY should NOT admit that Stev-o told you about the pan. The way I see it, it's all his fault. The end.

Anonymous said...

CRAZY! I'm glad everyone is ok, but that is just TOO Freakin' Funny! Oh, and don't get me started telling some of your tales as a kid. I swear we could write a book. LOL

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
kel

Anonymous said...

That is too funny!! Glad you guys are all okay and you still have a home. I agree w/ Andrea- this is Steven's fault- why is he storing cake in the oven anyways- it should be on the counter so you can see and eat it!!

Jenny

Char said...

I did that once! Mikaela wanted fishsticks and you have to cook those at like a million degrees but I forgot about the pizza box in the oven from the night before. I ruined the stove and had water all over the floor and had to whip out the fire extinguisher...but the vent was on and blew extinguisher debris all over the house. BUT I got a new stove out of the deal. oh, and it's ALWAYS his fault!

Jonathan's Mommy said...

That is hysterical! It reminds me of the time Bryan baked a frozen pizza and forgot to remove the cardboard from the bottom!

Go Oscar protecting the family!

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, you are the funniest person I know! Your stories are fabulous. I think you should quit the ol' legal business and start writing some sitcoms! I think they need someone in Hollywood right now! :)

Wendy

Janice said...

Oh, Kim, I am so sorry this happened but it's just too funny! I'm glad nothing worse happened though. At least you guys got to eat out!

By the way, this is something John would do. He and a bunch of his room mates burned their house down back in college during Spring Break. Long story. :-P

katie n dave said...

I'm so glad Oscar was there to save the day. Why in the world was a cake in the oven anyway?!? I'm glad everything turned out alright-and the smoke couldn't smell as bad as sewer gas!