Sunday, April 17, 2011

33

Another year older. The day started out bright and early at 8 am. Little Bit had crawled into our bed at some point during the night. I'm not sure what time she came in. I just know that at one point i was shocked wide awake because a tiny foot with torpedo force landed in my ribs. What seemed like seconds later another foot which appeared to be coming from the opposite side nailed my kidney. Steven was up and ready to head out to work for the last sunday of tax season. Little Bit was literally jumping on the bed asking if she could go outside and see if her friends could come out. At.8.A.M. Seriously. Happy Birthday to me.

By 10 I finally relented and let her go outside. She brings not one but two kids over to play. It's a gorgeous day outside. I'm already regretting the fact that I hadn't locked the door behind her when she went outside. I'm that mom. I'll often lock the door when it's a nice day outside. No coming inside and watching TV when you can be outside burning off the insane amount of energy you have in reserves. By 11 I couldn't take the fact that they were "inside" anymore. Not when there was sunshine to be had. So I rounded them up, shooed them outside. All three stood on the porch and Sophie said, "do we really have to play outside?!" As if I were talking to three other 33 year olds, I said, "Look, I love you guys, but today is my birthday and I really don't want to have to watch you guys inside." One kid looked up at me as though searching for the right thing to say. I so wanted to say, "the word you are looking for kiddo, is "bitoch!" Then they ran off to play as though that's what they were born to do and had forgotten that a mean Ms. Hannigan woman had kicked them outside. I locked the door behind them. Now happy birthday to me.

Deep thought- 33. Jesus was 33 when he died. The most influential person in the history of the world had done all that he needed to do by the ripe old age of 33. This fact popped in my head a few months ago when Steven turned 33. Jesus we are not. But still, 33?! 33 is YOUNG right?! I mean THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGURE TO EVER WALK ON THIS EARTH was finished by 33?! That is just crazy. Really crazy. All I've managed is a house in the suburbs, a honda, and a mountain o student loan debt for a career that I can't stand. Score for me!

So I'm not sure why I'm just feeling bah humbug on this birthday. Maybe it's because I SHOULD be sitting on a sail boat as I type. But the gov'ment had to go and screw with my plan. Which at 33 shows me just how much the government CAN and WILL screw with your life. And here I thought the State of the Union address interrupting the Cosby Show when I was 9 was bad!

Sophie flipped out over the fact that the delicious red velvet cake that my mama had made me for my birthday wasn't an ice cream cake. I seemed to be the only person who wanted to point a finger at her and say "too bad for you, NOT your day sista."

My free birthday dinner at one of my favorite restaurants was tarnished by some horrible service. Oh and my kid managed to fall down some brick steps and her face looks like she rubbed it in gravel. AND our phone is out and has been out all.day.long.

But there are things that I am thankful for. The obvious being that I am in fact alive. I have an awesome hubby and an over the top kid. My mama just lives like 2 miles away. My house in the burbs could not be in a better place because of the friends that we have here and the kids that Sophie can play with at 8 am. I have wonderful girlfriends and although we don't get together nearly as much as we should I know that we love each other dearly. I do hate the honda. And really, my job rocks and was created for me by divine intervention as not once has it kept me at work past 4:05. And i can laugh at myself. Yesterday, my friend and I confused dandelion leaves for pot leaves. True. Story. So yes I am old and lame. Happy 33rd Birthday to me.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I would like to go back to 22. :)





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy bday! I hear all your saying. I stopped in Motown on the way to the Greenbrier. Super sunny Sunday afternoon - made me think of going out, etc. Instead I am at the panera bread with a 2 year old and a big old pregnant stomach. I felt ancient - I don't think anyone in there was over 22!

Anonymous said...

Kim - I left the anonymous comment. - carrie s.

I'm Shea! said...

Happy birthday (belated) to you! you have lots to be happy about, and mom used to lock me and kris outside all the time when we were little so it must be in the genes! hahaha

i love you!