Monday, November 2, 2009

Tuesday Halloween Edition

1. Out of 12 months, October is probably my favorite because of Halloween. I start thinking about costumes in August. This year, however, Sophie was dead set on being a witch. As I've mentioned before, a witch with a crooked hat and crooked broom. Score on the broom but not on the hat. Regardless, I think she turned out pretty cute!

2. We also carved pumpkins! What I thought would be a fun activity for the kids in the neighborhood turned out to be the moms standing around the table carving pumpkins for them while they ran around like wild Indians playing.

Here's Sophie and Nathanial showing off the pumpkin that his mom carved. HA!


3. Trick-or-treat night really made us miss our old neighborhood. People in our old hood really go all out for Halloween. This year, since we are in a new neighborhood with only a few houses we decided to go trick-or-treating with Ben. The kids had a blast but it just wasn't the same. Gracie joined us too!


4. Since little Owen was a monkey for Halloween, I thought "wouldn't it be great if his dad would dress up as a giant banana?!" So I talked to Joel and asked if he'd wear a big banana if I found one. $5.49 later, this is Joel:

5. However, my plan to point fingers and laugh at Joel back fired when his wife called and said, "lets all dress up!" She had just dressed up for work and told me that she had these "awesome" costumes. Behold:



Yeah, not so awesome! Stephanie and I look like idiots dressed as flower pots while Shannon got to be the cute gardener!

6. So knocking on doors and saying "trick-or-treat" is becoming a thing of the past. It seems like everyone sits out in their driveway now. I know three little kids who got very excited to actually ring a doorbell and wait patiently.

Unfortunately, the old bag who opened the door gave each of them on single Tootsie roll. Wow.


7. Saturday we had an adult/kid Halloween party to hit. I wanted us all to dress up but for the life of me I couldn't think of anything. Then a few days before the party, crikey, it hit me! We could easily be the Irwin Family. A few iron-ons and plastic snakes later Sophie was Bindi Irwin.
8. I was a chubby, brunette, Terri Irwin.


9. And Steven was the legendary, Steve Irwin, may he rest in peace. Had there not been kids we might have went with some blood and a stingray.


10. So that was our Halloween. Sophie has been stuffing herself with candy and passing us all of the peanut filled treats.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Irwin Family outfits may have been one of your better ideas. I love them!!!!! All of the kids looked really cute. I even missed your old neighborhood and handing out bags and bags of candy.
G

Paula said...

Being the Irwin Family is such a great idea..I love the witch costume..what size and hit me up if you are wanting to sell it.

TwinMommyLawchick said...

Remember when Michael and I came to yours and Steven's house as Terri and Steve, pre-stingray? LOL!

Emma has already chosen her costume for next year, just like she has the past two years. I guess I can get shopping, she wants to be Little Red Riding Hood. I think I'll be the grandma and Ethan can be the Big Bad Wolf.

Jonathan's Mommy said...

Love the pictures--that is a great idea to go as the Irwin family! Looks like you guys had a great Halloween!!